The Sunshine Week toolkit is a free resource available to any participant including, but not limited to, professional and student journalists working in any medium; bloggers; civic and non-profit organizations; schools; and government officials (for activities related to open government only, please do not use them for inferred political endorsements).
Please note that permission to use these materials freely had only covered the seven days of Sunshine Week 2017 (March 12-18). However, authors and artists may grant special use permission in cases of student newspapers, weeklies and others who may not be able to publish that week. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with individual requests.
For inspiration on the kind of work that can be done utilizing public information, please review our FOI in Action page, and peruse the Bright Ideas collections from past Sunshine Weeks. To see what was offered in earlier Toolkits, visit The Vault.
Be sure to stay tuned for more information on Sunshine Week 2018’s toolkit!
Available to participants for Sunshine Week 2017:
- New Reporting Package (Sunshine Week 2017 extension)
- Special Reporting Package
- Opinion Columns
- Editorial Cartoons
- MuckRock’s Public Records Data
- Sunshine Week Logos and Icons
- A Sample Proclamation for State and Local Governments
- The Schools and Colleges Page for Students and Educators
- An assortment of Freedom of Information Resources