The Sunshine Week toolkit is a free resource available to any participant including, but not limited to, professional and student journalists working in any medium; bloggers; civic and non-profit organizations; schools; and government officials (for activities related to open government only, please do not use them for inferred political endorsements).
Please note that permission to use these materials freely covers only the seven days of Sunshine Week 2020 (March 15-21). However, authors and artists may grant special use permission in cases of student newspapers, weeklies and others who may not be able to publish that week. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with individual requests.
As Sunshine Week nears, and sometimes during the week, more material will be added, so be sure to check back often.
For inspiration on the kind of work that can be done utilizing public information, please review our FOI in Action page, and peruse the Bright Ideas collections from past Sunshine Weeks. To see what was offered in earlier Toolkits, visit The Vault.
Available to participants for Sunshine Week 2020:
- Special reporting package (free stories, photos and a graphic you can publish)
- Whistleblower Project
- The Society of Professional Journalists and the Government Accountability Project have teamed up with several other whistleblowing and media organizations to inform journalists on how they can safely work with whistleblowers and have created a comprehensive case for why those brave workers who risk everything should be praised and better protected. Visit this new website to read and listen to the stories of whistleblowers who have helped shed light on corruption, government waste and injustice, as well as the reporters who work with them.
- Opinion Columns
- Editorial Cartoons
- MuckRock’s Editorial Package
- Sunshine Week Logos and Icons
- A Sample Proclamation for State and Local Governments
- The Schools and Colleges Page for Students and Educators
- An assortment of Freedom of Information Resources
- 2019 Journalism Wins
- Success Stories
- MDDC package for Sunshine Week
- The Maryland Delaware and DC Press Association members collaborated on a Sunshine Week project focusing on police records fees.
- National Freedom of Information Day Discussion videos (Part 1, Part 2)